There are some emergencies that are obvious:
- Trauma (beak trauma, bite wounds, broken blood
- Clocal prolapse
- Egg prolapse
- Crop burn
- Difficulties breathing
- “ Bird at the bottom of the cage”
There are other signs that are not as obvious but still represent emergencies:
- Vomiting or frequent regurgitation
The most subtle signs can be things such as:
- A voice change in your bird
- A “fluffed bird”
- Increase in respiration rate or effort – looks like your bird is bobbing when sitting on their perch.
If your bird is experiencing any of the above signs they need to be seen as soon as possible. The sooner we see a sick bird, the better.